How to Submit
The Schuylkill Valley Journal (SVJ) is both an online and print journal. The online journal is posted every two months. The print journal is published in late spring and late fall. The SVJ publishes poetry, short stories, flash fiction, essays, and personal reflections. We prefer previously unpublished work though published work is acceptable in some circumstances (indicate where previously published). Simultaneous submissions are accepted but please notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere. All submissions will be considered for both our print and online journals.
All submissions should be sent in .doc or .rtf file format only, in Times New Roman 12-point font. Except for poetry (see specific Poetry guidelines below), all genres should be double-spaced. Include a 50-word bio and any notes regarding previous publication. Files should meet these guidelines or they may go unread.
Poetry: Because of the volume of poetry we receive, we ask that you DO NOT submit poetry through the general link below, but directly to the poetry editor, Bernadette McBride, at PoetrySVJ@gmail.com.
Our print journal is published twice a year, in fall and spring. Every two months we post on our website five poems (one each from poets whose work appears in that season’s current print issue). Poetry submission deadlines for each issue will be posted when the reading period begins again, usually a few months after the previous period has closed. Feel free to submit at any time, though once a deadline has passed, your work will not be considered until the next reading period which can take some time for response.
• We accept strong, well-crafted/well-edited poetry, both free and formal verse in a variety of subjects and styles, and encourage you to read our journal and acquaint yourself with our general aesthetic before submitting. Send us your best work.
• Send 3-5 poems in .doc file format only (no Zip files), 12-point Times New Roman font, single-spaced and justified to the left, including title (specific line or stanza indentations within a poem are acceptable).
• We prefer one poem per page (well-crafted longer poems accepted as long as they fit on no more than two pages of the print journal: please keep in mind the print journal is 6” by 9” so poems’ line lengths should be about 4 1/2” (about halfway across a document page). This is especially important for prose poems.
• No previously published poems, but simultaneous submissions are okay as long as you let us know right away if your work is accepted elsewhere.
• One submission per reading period. Please do not re-submit revisions or new work within a reading period. Our goal is to respond within three to four months, but sometimes this can take a bit longer, depending on the volume of submissions. We appreciate your patience on this.
• Please include your last name and the words “Poetry Submission” in the subject line of your email.
Please Note: files should meet these guidelines or they may go unread.
The deadline to submit poems for the Fall 2018 issue is September 30.
Short Stories: Send 1-2 stories. Approximately 3,000-5000 words; however, the preferred length for short stories is around 3,000. We like fiction that tells a story or illuminates a character. We look for original use of language, fresh voices and diversity. We also seek writers who have insights into the mysteries of everyday life, relationships and the world around us. Stories can pose questions and answer them or not; however, they must be well-crafted.
Flash Fiction: Short fiction up to 2,500 words. Stories must be stories and contain: Problem. Conflict. Resolution. We like funny, sad, ugly, beautiful stories, with a dose of insight. We love irony. Above all, stories must be well-written. So please proofread your work before sending it to us. Send 1-3 stories in the body of an email (attachments will not be opened), with a cover letter and brief bio (no more than 75 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org
If your work is accepted, we will ask you to submit a doc or docx version of your story. Submissions must be original, previously unpublished, and in English. Please wait to receive a response to your work before sending additional material. Work published that first appears in the SVJ Online may also be included in the print edition.
Essays/Articles: Ranging between 750—1,200 words (2000 max) will be considered for publication online. Articles greater than 1,200 words (4,ooo max) will only be considered for print publication. We prefer the following types of material: Articles on Philadelphia, interviews, subjects of a general, literary, or artistic interest, historical perspectives, and personal reflections.
Copyright: By submitting a work to the SVJ, the contributor agrees that the Schuylkill Valley Journal reserves first rights and the right to republish material online. All other rights belong to the contributor. The SVJ does not claim ownership of syndicated material from other sources, and proper credit will be given as necessary. We request the same courtesy from our peers. All rights are similarly reserved by the SVJ.
Payment: The SVJ does not pay contributors. We are a volunteer publication. It would be ideal if we had the funds to pay contributors, but for now, the best we can do is to share your work with our audience, and leave you with a heartfelt and sincere thanks.